Children's Emergency Dentist in Decatur IL
Unfortunately, dental emergencies happen. If your child needs emergency dental care in Decatur, IL, we want to let you know that Dr. Bret and our staff are here for your family. Our Decatur, IL dentist can provide relief from common dental emergencies, such as bad tooth pain, cracked, broken, or knocked out teeth, and painful swelling in the mouth or gums. Parents of a child experiencing a dental emergency in Decatur, IL should call our dentist office immediately.
We also recognize that dental emergencies in Decatur, IL can happen at any time of the day, so we have a plan to make sure that you are covered with emergency dental care. Our after-hours dental emergency line is available 24/7. Just call our regular 62526 dentist office line, and the voicemail will provide you with the information you need to reach Decatur, IL pediatric dentist, Dr. Bret.
Common Dental Emergencies at Our 62526 Dentist Office
Some dental emergencies need to be addressed by an emergency dentist immediately. If your child is experiencing any of the following situations, please call our Decatur, IL dentist office right away:
- Knocked-out tooth: Pick up the tooth by the top (crown) and take care not to touch or damage the root. Gently rinse it, without scrubbing, and place it in a clean container or cup of milk – this helps keep the tooth viable so we can try to place it back into your child’s mouth.
- Serious swelling of the cheek, gums or mouth: Swelling of the mouth can indicate an infection, so don’t delay calling our office.
- Cracked or fractured tooth: A cracked or fractured tooth is different than a chipped tooth. When a tooth is fractured, there is often sharp and constant pain. Rinse your child’s mouth out with warm salt water while you call us in order to decrease the risk of infection.
- Severe bleeding: This can occur when a tooth falls out on its own or when trauma has occurred. Apply pressure with clean gauze but call us if the bleeding doesn’t stop on its own after 20 minutes.
- Trauma to the mouth, lips, or tongue: Trauma to the mouth encompasses a lot of different things. Whether your child was hit in the face by a soccer ball or they’ve caught their cheek on the corner of the kitchen table, it is important that they been seen quickly so that the damage can be repaired and we can treat for possible infection.
When Do I Need Urgent Dental Care?
A dental emergency occurs when your child’s dental health is at immediate risk. Sometimes, your child may experience an incident that is not a true dental emergency. If you are concerned, you are always welcome to call us so that we can discuss whether your child should be seen by an emergency dentist in 62526 and how soon.
- Slight tooth pain or ache: If your child complains of bad tooth pain, please give us a call the next morning so we can determine if they need to be seen.
- Cavity: Cavities are not dental emergencies. They can be treated at our Decatur, IL dentist office at the next available appointment opening.
- Chipped tooth: If your child isn’t experiencing any pain associated to the chipped tooth, just make sure they chew carefully so that they don’t do further damage before they are able to be seen in our 62526 dentist office.
- Teething: While teething pain can be a problem for both you and your child, it is not considered a dental emergency in Decatur, IL. A frozen teething ring can help alleviate your child’s tooth pain.
Call Your Child's Emergency Dentist in Decatur, IL Today
Call us at (217) 875-3080 today to make an appointment or if you have any questions. Our after-hours dental emergency number can be found on our voicemail.