At Jerger Pediatric Dentistry, our primary goal is to ensure that your son or daughter has the best experience possible each and every time they visit us. Many adults suffer from dental fear or phobia that keeps them from getting the dental care they need to maintain a healthy smile. This anxiety and fear often stem from bad experiences at the dentist as a child. Building a positive relationship with our small patients sets them up for future success at the dentist throughout their lives.
Here are some ways we keep children comfortable and smiling at our Decatur, IL dental office.
The Tell, Show, Do Method
We want to ensure that your son or daughter is comfortable and ready for every dental procedure before we get started, even just counting their teeth! So our friendly team members follow the tell, show, do method with our little ones before every procedure, which looks like this:
- We start by telling them about the procedure and what we will do and accomplish during their visit. Our dentist and team members use child-friendly, age-appropriate language that doesn't scare your son or daughter.
- We show them the tools and instruments we use to complete the procedure before putting anything in their mouth.
- We do the procedure only when they feel safe, comfortable, and ready for it. For some children, this could mean multiple visits to complete a procedure, and that's okay. However, your little one's comfort and well-being are of the utmost importance at Jerger Pediatric Dentistry.
Everyone who works at our pediatric dental office was hand-selected by Dr. Bret because they love working with children. So you can rest assured you're working with a dentist and team who have your little one's best interests at heart.
Hospital Sedation Dentistry in Decatur, IL
Some of our small patients have special needs, require extensive treatment, or struggle with severe anxiety. These are a few of the cases that might benefit from hospital sedation. Dr. Bret and his team can comfortably and efficiently perform more extensive or complex procedures while your little one "sleeps" peacefully during hospital sedation dentistry.
We complete hospital sedation procedures on Friday mornings or afternoons at Saint Mary's Hospital in Decatur, IL. You and your child will meet our team at the hospital, and we complete all procedures there while your little one is sedated and their heart rate and vital signs are closely monitored throughout the visit.
Before your appointment, we thoroughly review the procedures needed, exactly what happens during sedation dentistry, and how to care for your child after their appointment and throughout their recovery.
Who Benefits From Hospital Sedation Dentistry?
Complex treatment can be less traumatizing to your little one with hospital sedation. Some cases Dr. Bret recommends hospital sedation for are:
- Children with special needs
- Little ones who need extensive treatment, such as multiple fillings or crowns
- Treatment that requires a lot of time and the child to sit still
- For little ones who may be too young to follow instructions
If you think your son or daughter could benefit from hospital sedation, don't hesitate to discuss your options with Dr. Bret and his team.
Smiles of the Month
Another way we build relationships with our young patients is by honoring their smile achievements! Every month we list those patients who had a cavity-free checkup and share that list in our monthly blog. Here's our list of May Smiles of the Month honorees.
You can also check out our Smiles of the Month honorees on our special wall at Jerger Pediatric Dentistry. Each cavity-free child also gets their picture taken and hung on our wall for the month! We're so proud of our kids who work hard to brush twice each day and floss to keep their smiles bright, clean, and cavity-free.
We Look Forward to Caring for Your Child's Smile!
If it's time for your son or daughter's next teeth cleaning and checkup, contact your Decatur pediatric dentist today by calling (217) 875-3080.